"All art is quite useless" -Oscar Wilde

"Don't romaticise your 'vocation.' You can either write good sentences or you can't. There is no 'writer's lifestyle.' All that matter is what you leave on the page." -Zadie Smith

"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting, struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness" -George Orwell

Friday, February 4, 2011

MAGDANCE

http://www.jschool.ca//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=342&Itemid=44

Here is another piece that I wrote for Ink. It’s a look at MAGDANCE, a collaboration between the MacKenzie Art Gallery and New Dance Horizons. Bringing dance into the gallery space, blurring the lines between performance and visual art, is something that doesn’t have a lot of precedence – it’s very interesting to see, especially in Regina.
Putting together the MAGDANCE story was a stressful process. In addition to the usual headache of interviewing and writing, I crashed my car (for the first time ever) on the way to the MacKenzie to meet Timothy Long. On top of this, though I didn’t realize it at the time, I was coming down with the flu. Needless to say, I was pretty glad when I finally got it filed.
The MAGDANCE story wasn't my original plan. At the January Combat Improv show, there was a presentation about the new Creative City Centre. The project really caught my interest, and I wanted to explore it further in the form of a story. But, while doing background research, I found a feature that The Carillon had published last week. I really wasn’t sure whether to abandon the idea or to move forward. On one hand, after reading The Carillon story, I felt that, despite being 1200 words long, the story had very little tangible information. On the other hand, it was written only last week and there is no shortage of good art stories in Regina. Redundancy really is unnecessary. I finally opted to find a story elsewhere, and I’m glad I did –MAGDANCE turned out to be really neat.

-Noah out

No comments:

Post a Comment